Burlap & Barrel's spectacular Cured Sumac grows wild around Gaziantep, Turkey, where instead of being dried, it’s chopped and packed in salt to preserve it. It has a bright, sour, salty and slightly fermented flavor, and is one of their most popular spices among professional chefs and home cooks alike.
Cured Sumac is a classic Middle Eastern finishing spice. Swap it for lemon juice in any recipe or use it to add character and brightness to salads, fish, meat or dips. It also makes a perfect topping for anything from hummus to salad to roasted veggies or meat to scrambled eggs.
Bon Appetit called our Cured Sumac “tart and vivacious” and said that it gives dishes “invigorating citrus-like finish (and a deep red-violet hue that you couldn’t dream up).”
Chef Sohla El-Waylly wrote in the New York Times says "Usually, I would never encourage you to buy more than a 3-ounce container of spice at a time, but we purchase Burlap & Barrel’s Cured Sumac by the pound."
- Origin: Gaziantep, Turkey
- Process: Chopped, then packed in salt and cured
- Ingredients: Sumac berries (Rhus coriaria), salt (salt content is 1% by weight, or about 0.5 grams per jar)
- Tasting notes: Sour Cherry • Salt & Vinegar • Sunny Acidity
- Sprinkle on top of hummus, baba ganoush or eggs
- Dust over roast or fried fish and chicken
- Add to chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with a few glugs of olive oil
Pairs well with: Black Urfa Chili, Smoked Pimenton Paprika, Wild Mountain Cumin
Weight: 65.2 g / 2.3 oz